David Shea, Director of the Office of Charge Card Management, FSA,GSA appeared on Amtower Off Center on May 13 (Federal News Radio, 1500 AM) to discuss the state of the government charge card, SmartPay(tm).
If you have an interest in the government charge card program, listen to this show. Here is the link:
During the hour long show Mr Shea shared the following:
- during 2012 the card was used for $29.3 billion (this includes purchases, travel and fleet). Of that, $18.1 billion was on the purchase card.
- 2013 year-to-date (first two quarters reporting): $18.1 billion
- Top agencies using the SmartPay cards:
- top merchant categories (a merchant category is how the credit card companies categorizes vendors):
- Miscellaneous retail
- Dental, pharmaceutical
- Industrial supply
- Office supplies;
- Business services not elsewhere categorized;
- Health practice;
- Government services;
- Level 3 processing on cards is required for all Strategic Sourcing Initiatives on the GSA Schedules;
- 20% of the purchase card activity in 2012 was over $10,000 per purchase, well above the "micro-purchase" level;
- There are approximately 280,000 purchase cards in use;
- Due to travel restrictions, there is a migration of charge card training programs to virtual training events.
Advice for vendors from Mr Shea includes:
- shop around for your acquirer (card processor) to get the best rates;
- make certain you get the proper merchant (MCC) category when setting up your account;
And much more.
You can find more information on the SmartPay program at